American Pie is a 1999 teen comedy directed by Paul and Chris Weitz, and written by Adam Herz. It was the first film to be directed by the Weitz brothers, and the first film in the American Pie series. The film was a box-office hit and spawned two direct sequels: American Pie 2 (2001) and American Wedding (2003).
The film concentrates on four boys who make a pact to lose their virginity before their high school graduation. The title of the film refers to a scene in the film in which the lead character is caught masturbating with a pie after previously being told that third base feels "like warm apple pie."
The film ranked 1st on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies" list, and ranked 1st on Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Best High School Movies. In 2000, readers of Total Film magazine voted American Pie the 6th greatest comedy film of all time and in 2006 viewers of Channel 4 in the UK voted it 7th in a list of the 50 Greatest Comedy Films.
Since the conclusion of the original American Pie trilogy, featuring the courtship and marriage of the characters Jim Levenstein and Michelle Flaherty, the American Pie name has gone on to be used as an entity similar to the National Lampoon film series. American Pie has spawned four direct-to-dvd spin-off films bearing the title American Pie Presents: Band Camp (2005), The Naked Mile (2006), Beta House (2007) and the The Book of Love (2009).
Four Tokyo high school seniors make a pact to lose their virginity before their high school graduation after a geeky classmate, Molly Baker claims to have done so at ignorant lacrosse player Mina Aino's party. During this party Raye and Chad go upstairs and he performs oral sex on her. After Raye ejaculates into a full plastic cup of beer on a nightstand in the bedroom while trying to lose her virginity, the cup is placed on the nightstand and Raye and Chad leave. Mina comes in a short time later and as she's seducing her date, picks up the tainted beer and takes a large gulp, resulting in her making a mad rush to the toilet and vomit. Raye asks her how the pale ale was and Mina shouts "Fuck you!" in disgust.
Raye Hino, the initiator of the pact, tries to repair her relationship with her boyfriend Chad after they have a serious fight at the party when he accuses her of being with him only for sex. Lita Kino, who is on the high school lacrosse team with Mina, joins the jazz choir to pick up boys, as the boys in the band know little of her insensitive jockette reputation. Amy Mizuno, the mochacchino-drinking sophisticate, pays Chad's friend Freddy $200 to spread rumors around the school of her sexual prowess, hoping that it will increase her chances of success.
Serena Tsukino pursues Andrew, a student who also works at Game Center Crown. After he comes to Serena's house to study with her, he has to change clothes after just finishing work at the arcade, so Mina convinces Serena to set up a webcam so they can watch him change. Serena quickly heads over to Raye's house to watch him. Once she gets there Andrew is seen on the computer discovering her pornography collection hidden in her dresser and he begins looking through it while masturbating.
Raye urges Serena to go back home, saying this is her best opportunity to lose her virginity. Serena arrives and Andrew orders her to strip. Meanwhile, it becomes apparent that she had incorrectly addressed the email with the web cam link to Raye and Mina, having instead sent the link to every mailbox in the school directory; virtually the entire student body (and even the Four Sisters) are watching.
As Serena slowly caresses his leg up to his genitals, she climaxes prematurely. As Andrew is about to leave, she convinces him to stay, but upon seeing him nude and touching his pubic area, she climaxes prematurely again, humiliating herself in front of the entire student body. In her desperation, Serena asks band geek Darien Shields to the senior prom as he is apparently the only boy at her school who did not see what happened.
Raye complained earlier to Serena and all about the fact that Chad is delaying having sex and he overheard this comment. Annoyed at her, she vows to make it up to him. Remembering what Grandpa has told her, Raye performs oral sex on him, making him experience an orgasm. He is ecstatic, as she performs the "tongue tornado" on him. He yells "I'm coming!" loudly and, conveniently, just as his father is about to walk in to call him down for dinner.
Amy, meanwhile, has her own problems. Mina, angry about the fact that a boy turned her down for the prom because he was waiting for Amy to ask him, as well as the rumor going around that Amy beat her up, puts a laxative into Amy's mochacchino. Amy, being paranoid about the lack of cleanliness in the school restrooms and unable to go home to use the toilet as she usually does, is tricked by Mina to use the boys' restroom. Afterward, she emerges before many other fellow students, humiliated and is left dateless.
At the prom, everything seems hopeless for the four girls until Chad asks the boy, Melvin that Molly Baker claimed to have bedded about his "first time." Melvin proclaims to everyone at the prom that he and Molly did not have sex at Mina's party, leaving Molly embarrassed and making her wet herself. The revelation takes the pressure off of Serena, Raye, Lita and Amy and they head to the post-prom party with new hope.
At the after-party at Mina's house, all four girls fulfill their pledge. Raye and Chad have made up and have sex in an upstairs bedroom, but the act is very awkward. Chad breaks up with Raye afterwards on the grounds that they will drift apart when they go to college, with her attending the University of Tokyo and him at the International University of Japan.
Lita confesses the pact to Ken, a boy from the jazz choir and renounces it, saying that just by them being together makes her a winner. They fall in love, begin a relationship, wind up making love on the porch; the reformed Lita never confesses what they did.
Amy strays downstairs to the basement recreation room where she meets Mina's Dad. He is aroused by her precociousness and they have sex on the pool table. In the morning Mina doesn't understand why the door is locked and upon entering she realizes that her dad has had sex with Amy and faints, unable to believe that her dad and "shitbreak" are together.
Serena and Darien have sex after she finds out that he saw the "Andrew Incident" after all. He accepted her offer to be her date because of it, knowing she was a "sure thing," but he makes her wear two condoms to combat her earlier "problem" with Andrew. Serena is surprised by Darien's unexpectedly aggressive behavior in bed. In the morning she wakes up to find him gone—he used her for a one-night stand, which Serena thinks is "cool."
The morning after the prom Serena, Raye, Lita, and Amy eat breakfast at their favorite restaurant - with the fitting nostalgic name, "Dog Years" - where they toast to "the next step."
- James Emmanuel "Jim" Levenstein (Jason Biggs) - The main character of the film, a geeky, sexually frustrated guy who finds communicating with girls incredibly difficult.
- Christopher "Oz" Ostreicher (Chris Klein) - Oz is a stereotypical jock, who is eventually softened, because of what a college girl said to him about paying attention to a girl's feelings.
- Kevin Myers (Thomas Ian Nicholas) - The creator of the pact involving Jim, Oz, and Finch. It is Kevin's older brother Tom (played in an uncredited role by Casey Affleck) who gives him the "Sex Bible," and suggests that the group go to the lake house in American Pie 2.
- Victoria "Vicky" Lathum (Tara Reid) - Kevin's girlfriend, who will not have sex with Kevin unless everything is perfect.
- Steve Stifler (Seann William Scott) - Refers to himself as the "Stiffmeister." He is frequently the victim of "gross-out" moments, most commonly the unintentional consumption of some bodily secretion (semen in American Pie, urine in American Pie 2, and dog feces in American Wedding).
- Paul Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas) - An intelligent sophisticate, referred to as "shit-break" by Steve Stifler because of his inability to defecate in school bathrooms.
- Heather (Mena Suvari) - A sweet and innocent choir girl who eventually falls in love with Oz.
- Jessica (Natasha Lyonne) - Vicky's sexually experienced friend.
- Noah Levenstein (Jim's Dad) (Eugene Levy) - Jim's apparently geeky father, whose awkward efforts to help Jim often cause more embarrassment than anything, despite his good intentions. He is the only character to appear in all eight American Pie films.
- Michelle Annabeth Flaherty (Alyson Hannigan) - An eccentric nerd, but unexpectedly a sexually voracious predator, who has many annoying stories about her experiences at band camp (a running gag within the film).
- Chuck Sherman (Chris Owen) - (also known as The Sherminator) is a nerdy kid whose (secretly false) revelation that he's lost his virginity prompt Jim, Oz, Kevin and Finch to make their pact. The nickname "Sherminator" comes from his sole attempt at a pick-up line, an awkward joke based on the film The Terminator.
- Nadia (Shannon Elizabeth) - A tall sexy girl from (former) Czechoslovakia.
- Jeanine Stifler (Jennifer Coolidge) - Stifler's gorgeous mother, who is coveted by every boy in the school, often referred to as a MILF.
- Blink-182 make a cameo appearance as the band watching Jim and Nadia during their webcast though drummer Travis Barker is wrongly credited as former Blink-182 drummer "Scott Raynor". Also, when their song "Mutt" is credited, Travis Barker's name is misspelled as "Travis Barkor". The parts were given when Tom Delonge's acting agent reported the film needed a band.
- Christina Milian appears as one of the band geeks.
- Casey Affleck plays Tom Myers, Kevin's elder brother.
- Stacy Fuson, Playmate of the Month for February 1999, appears in the crowd laughing at Finch when he exits the girls' restroom.
"American Pie: Music from the Motion Picture"
- Third Eye Blind - "New Girl"
- Tonic - "You Wanted More"
- Blink-182 - "Mutt"
- Sugar Ray - "Glory"
- Super TransAtlantic - "Super down"
- Dishwalla - "Find Your Way Back Home"
- Bic Runga and Dan Wilson - "Good Morning Baby"
- Shades Apart - "Stranger by the Day"
- Bachelor Number One - "Summertime"
- Goldfinger - "Vintage Queen"
- Bic Runga - "Sway"
- Loose Nuts - "Wishen"
- The Atomic Fireballs - "Man with the Hex"
The following songs were included in the movie but were not featured on the soundtrack:
- The Ventures - "Walk Don't Run"
- Barenaked Ladies - "One Week"
- Third Eye Blind - "Semi-Charmed Life"
- Oleander - "I Walk Alone"
- Hole - "Celebrity Skin"
- Everclear - "Everything to Everyone"
- Harvey Danger - "Flagpole Sitta"
- Duke Daniels - "Following a Star"
- Simon & Garfunkel - "Mrs. Robinson"
- BT featuring Jan Johnston - "Anomaly (Calling Your Name)"
- Etta James - "At Last"
In popular cultureEdit
The film popularized the term MILF (Mom I'd Like to Fuck). The phrase is first uttered by actor John Cho in a scene in which two guys are looking at a picture of Stifler's mom, whom Paul Finch later has sex with. The phrase is now common in pornography featuring women in their late 30s and higher who are presumably mothers.
Jason Biggs appears in the film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (2001) as himself, in which he is referred to as "the guy who fucked the pie". He then goes into an angry rant about how he's tired of it being the only thing he is known for, despite his numerous other films. Later in the film, when being falsely arrested due to a case of mistaken identity, he shouts "Don't you know who I am? Look at me, I'm the pie fucker!" The arresting officer then comments: "In prison, you'll be the pie!"
American Pie "Unrated version"Edit
Two versions of the movie have been released: the theatrical R-Rated and the Unrated Version. To obtain an R-Rating the movie had to be cut slightly. Altogether 11 scenes were altered.
The movie was originally rated NC-17, but they had to edit the film 4 times before it got an R rating.
To see a comparison of the difference, go here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1434
- Box Office Mojo
- Adam Herz — Biography
- The Michigan Daily Online
- Yesterdog : History Page "Good Ole Hot Dogs" at 1505 Wealthy, Grand Rapids, Michigan, restaurant
- American Pie Movie Easter Egg
- American Pie Filming Locations